Did you know…

Paraffin is the major ingredient in most conventional candles and is a sludge waste product from the petroleum industry. It releases carcinogenic chemicals when burned. The soot/fumes are similar to those released from a diesel engine and can be as dangerous as second-hand cigarette smoke. This can contribute to serious respiratory issues like asthma. Two particularly toxic chemicals, benzene and toluene, are found in the sooty residue from burning candles. Benzene is cancer-causing and toluene affects the central nervous system.

Artificially scented candles complicate matters further with those added chemicals —Researchers have shown some scented candles produce smoke laced with almost as many toxins as those produced by cigarettes — and if you’re using candles with wicks made with metal cores there’s the threat of inhaling lead. Lead poisoning. Right. Lead poisoning can lead to behavior changes and damage internal organs, especially the kidneys.

Also exposure to incense smoke has been linked with several illnesses, and certain brands of incense also contain chemicals.  As I understand it, an occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will probably not affect you but lighting many of them every day for years, or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom, for example, may cause problems!

Try natural beeswax, Coconut, Palm Oil or non- GMO soy candles instead.

I suggest, as I will always suggest!!!, do your own research and decide for yourself 

but here’s an article by Wellness Mama (love her!)  to get you started:


And shopping (BTW, I don’t get anything for this, just a friendly pass on):



And some more resources: